Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Recipe ~ Venison Roast & Red Cabbage

I have to laugh when I think back to my life before healthy eating. I had never bought cabbage let alone eaten it... until I accidentally quickly grabbed a green cabbage head from the grocery story thinking I was getting a head of lettuce, probably to go with some Mexican dish. When I got home and unwrapped it I thought this doesn't look like lettuce and I tried a bite and thought it was completely disgusting. Oh, how I've come a long way!!! Although I threw out that first head of cabbage I now buy green and red cabbages regularly and love it! My family does too. My daughter has not been a big fan of roasts. She thinks the meat is too chewy. On one of the days I wanted to try something new or just didn't have another veggie to pair the meat with I decided to try it with red cabbage, and it was good. So good, my daughter ate her whole bowl full without any complaint and wanted more. :) Red cabbage is a bit sweeter than the green and was a yummy compliment to the venison. This easy to make dish works great for anyone on a limited diet due to allergies, Candida, or pretty much any health issue. I certainly enjoy making dishes that don't require a lot of time and work... this is a good match. We hope you will like it as much as we do.

Venison Roast & Red Cabbage

1 venison roast (or beef roast~we get organic grass fed beef)
5 stalks organic celery (more or less to your liking)
1-2 onions (we usually use white but any color is fine)
1 large garlic clove - finely chopped
sea salt
pepper

First wash the celery well and cut about every inch. Line the bottom of your crock pot with the celery chunks. Then peal the onion(s). Cut in thicker pieces, not too small. Layer the onion over the celery. Then put your roast on top, and the finely chopped garlic pieces on top of the roast. Cook on low til done. (mine usually goes from about lunch time to supper on low. Towards the end add sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

1 small to medium red cabbage head
2 large garlic cloves - finely chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt (about)
1 rounded tablespoon coconut oil

Preheat oven at 400. While it is warming add coconut oil to baking dish (I use 3 quart glass pyrex; if you use a larger dish either shorten baking time or lower temp to 375) and put in oven to melt. Wash cabbage and cut into bite size pieces. Part way through cutting cabbage take out the coconut oil that should now be melted and add chopped garlic and sea salt. Stir well. Finish cutting the cabbage and add it to the pan. Mix it well with the oil mixture and put in the oven to bake for 15 min. After time is up take out and stir, the top parts of the cabbage may be getting browned make sure they get put down towards the bottom of the dish. Put back in the oven for an additional 10-15 min. Make sure not to overcook the cabbage or it won't have as much flavor. When cabbage is almost done cut roast into bite size pieces and pair it with the cabbage when baking time is complete. Add more seasoning to the dish if you so choose. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: