Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Live Simply ~ Restoring Health


One of the key points to restoring our health has been to simplify. We've all heard the saying, "Less is more." But do we really stop to think how important that statement really is? When we first took our health into our own hands, food was our first priority. Hello ingredient labels. Every single item we picked up at a store, the ingredient list was read. If you have food allergies or have a family member with them you are probably aware of how important this task is. But everyone who suffers from not feeling their best should really start looking into what is actually in the foods they are eating. The fewer the ingredients the better. Make sure you know what the ingredients are. If it states something you haven't heard of you might not want to be eating it. And if there are artificial or GMO ingredients listed, put the box back on the shelf. Seriously, you don't want to be doing your body more harm! Another common saying, "You are what you eat." Are you junk? No. Do you eat junk? Well, if you do you might not be feeling so great and if you don't feel the repercussions now you most likely will sometime in the future. I know this very well. Oh how I loved to eat a LARGE bag of M&M's, plain or peanut... I was happy. I was also very happy eating an entire box of macaroni and cheese, and no, not the homemade, healthier version. I vividly remember my husband telling me how terrible the mac & cheese was, that it WAS NOT cheese! I paid no attention to him. I loved the taste, didn't feel bad when I ate it, so I ate a lot of it. Down the road I most definitely paid the price for how I treated my body. You could say I fed my body trash, and I was becoming what I was eating. I felt terrible!

So back to simplifying... we had to take steps. First my daughter and I made the move to what we thought was healthier, premade gluten, dairy, egg, nut free products in the health aisle. If it is in the health aisle it should be healthy, right? Not so much. Marketing friends, can be quite evil. Claims on a box, fancy packaging, commercials and such does not mean an item is good for you. Smart marketing means more sales and more money made. Being a graphic designer, I have worked in marketing. Its all about making something look good to make a sale, so beware of who's pocket you are filling. Is it someone who cares about your health? When our health was still failing, we had to look more seriously into what we were eating. Our food list was then simplified... a lot. Try an ingredient list with only one ingredient. Pure, nothing else added, certified organic... free of chemicals and other harmful substances... this was our healing food. This kind of food restores the body. A way to feel good and alive again... it is food simplified. Grow it, eat it. Buy meats/produce from a Farmers Market. Know where your food comes from. It's worth it to feel good, so do what you can to eat good. It makes a BIG difference!

Living simply doesn't end with food. Look at what's around you, what you put on your skin, what you use on your laundry, all your cleaning supplies... the environment that surrounds you. Less is more. Again, we made several changes. It took time, but we simplified and honestly it is quite freeing to be rid of so much... junk. I still need to work on simplifying clutter in my home but I'll get there... in time. Begin with one step. If I can do it, you can do it. My fridge is clean and only houses what we need for the week, healthy food. My shampoo is one ingredient. Same with my conditioner. I had no idea that two simple ingredients plus water could clean my hair so well. Our laundry detergent is non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Our soaps are simplified. Our water is now filtered and free of contaminants. Yay! We have made so many changes and I will be sharing what we have done over the next few weeks. Be purposeful with a positive mindset to live simply, healthier and your entire body will thank you. Don't wait, start now.


No comments: