Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Beauty ~ Seeing the Positive


My daughter came home from school yesterday in a terrible mood, and when I asked her about it she started complaining about the weather and why did it have to be so rainy. She wanted a sunny day so she could play outside with friends. We had quite a long conversation about it. I explained that although she may not care for the weather at the moment, it is (for) good. Trees and plants need it to grow, animals to drink and bathe in... I remember watching the birds play in it after the last rainfall and it made me think, how many times do we want something but forget or pay no attention to what someone/something else needs. Sometimes we become so focused on ourselves we miss the beauty around us. Sure I really like warm, sunny days, but we need the rainy days too, so other things in this world can grow and become beautiful. If there wasn't rain there wouldn't be any rainbows, and I know my daughter loves rainbows as that is about all she drew for 3 years. :) In time I think she realized it wasn't such a bad day because of the weather. In every situation we face we are given the choice to look at it positively or negatively. With a positive view we will always search out the good, there is always something good, and this will keep us uplifted through our journey. I believe the good we find is one of God's ways to show His love for us, to brighten our spirit... He wants us to stay focused on the good, but it is up to us to find it, see it, feel it, hear it...

We woke up to another grey, wet morning. And as I was making breakfast I looked out the window and noticed the raindrops on the trees. I felt this prompting within to put breakfast aside, even though it takes a long time to prepare, and so I went and grabbed my coat and camera and headed outside to capture the beauty around me...

 


I felt it, God's love being revealed all around me. How many days go by that I don't notice these gifts, the beauty surrounding me? I let the busyness of my day take priority over seeing the details that God has laid out in plain view. Taking the time to see the beauty in what seems the simplest of forms is where joy can be found. I am so thankful I was given the urge to grab my camera this morning. It delights me to see what is captured, because even though I see things a certain way in real life, when I look back at the photos, take a closer look, I see even more beauty, and I sit in awe that this is all God's creation... and it is very good, it is beautiful!


During my Bible reading this morning I was brought to this verse:
"You have seen many things, but have paid no attention." Isaiah 42:20a

I pray that I will pay better attention to my surroundings...people, things. I don't want to miss the gifts.

No comments: